Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Fitting a slide - to provide a line of flight.


 I'm 54 in two days and we are moving house so I'm not very focused on my school work.  I am interested in the slide as it is something that isn't part of my PhD and I don't really think its part of my arts practice it is something distinctly different. I am not really going to talk about Derrida now but very simply it may be useful for the PhD work as it presents us with an edge.  For me it is a clear and defined edge and I can probably think of a few reasons for this which I will list.  I can then use this list to help form a category of what can be practice and what can be research and then talk about slippage and lines of flight.


I have just broken off from revisiting a section of my literature review I wrote in September 2020.  It was useful as it felt like someone else had written it and although it wasn't terrible I could see where it needed a tighter focus and where it needed filling out.  Perhaps this will end up as a good way to write?  To get something down, stick it away for 4 months and then revisit it as if I am my own second author, it certainly helped to not be looking at a blank page.

I will have to be careful not to overdo things as I have overdone things and I'm aching all over and we have a big house move coming up.  I also for the record am feeling a little exhausted by the change of scenery coming up and the fact I haven't really had a break for while coupled with the fact that I don't actually feel like I'm doing anything even though I am doing loads.

The writing is probably going OK I am working on three trajectories and I think the potted literature review I came across this morning may become something plus I have the section on research creation.  Kate seems confident I will be able to hybrid this into a PhD document and although it will not be brilliant it will be full of practice. 


It is this I think that is interesting the relationship between thinking and doing that all practitioners have but few academics can actually have as they need to spend their lives becoming academic practitioners so there is not time to actually do anything else at a level that would give it the status of a practice.

That's why the slides important - its a line of flight out of the assemblage of the artists residency as method - I worked this out writing my literature review today.  There is a contradiction however as now I am using it as an example of difference it may re-enter the frame or platform of the work. I will need to work hard to keep it at a distance.


This afternoon I need to drill four holes and put bolts in - then it will be finished and can slide away.

No comments:

Post a Comment