Friday, June 11, 2021

Busy Week doing other stuff


 I have had a bust couple of weeks in the past 14 days I've done 5 projection events.  I've worked 5 days at the adventure playground and I've started to pack up the house.  I tried to do a writing day on Thursday but it got pushed back so I could write an extended plan for some work in a school.  Today I edited a film for the Odd project, this has been on my mind so it was good to get it out of the way. I quite liked it in the end as it drew an practice.  I film I made in Gainsborough that used four screens and a single timeline and attempted to edit collaboratively and a film I made about Venice and Sheffield for our we are not an island project.

Its strange as I will not probably pullout this direct line to practice within the project as this is the works dependence on opacity.   It is the thing that makes the film for the project more than just the film for the project as it flows into a distinct line of practice and a slight obsession with early and later Brian de Palma movies.  If I can actually get my head together and do some thinking this is probably important for my PhD work as the line between my research and my practice is sometimes more obscure than opaque. 

I have also been thinking about the idea of going native.  I don't think you are allowed to say this anymore but historically it holds a specific meaning.  As I'm excluded mainly from my world which I see as a place of conceptual artistic practice then  I have the potential to go native  or perhaps less provocatively adopt two worlds. The community world of the playground where i feel most at home and the strange and exotic world of the university where I feel disjointed.  I'm reminded of an earlier post on here or somewhere else where i quote from the film the fly. "perhaps I am just a community worker who only dreamed he was an artist."  perhaps though dreaming is important and the rusty nails on a bench or the fixing of toilets as an art act, the story of the rat in a pipe and thoughts about building paying attention to dwelling from Heidegger are not really an assemblage or an actor network perhaps i need to go back to feeling them as a practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment