Wednesday, December 15, 2021

black finger nails


 My black nail is growing out - it marks PhD slow time.  I have worked on my literature review for the best part of 5 days now.  I am up to nearly 10,000 words and it feels like it needs splitting into two chapters, like a dividing single cell organism an agentile cut.

 I have threaded through some of my own thoughts and my own experience.  These bits feel edgy, there is an anger in  them, but also a confidence that was missing before.  I have proposed that to work with the philosophy of Deleuze and Guattari  it is necessary to at least aspire to come up with new concepts.  The concept for them belongs to philosophy an element of research-creation belongs to philosophy so concepts are important.   Therefore I propose in ignorance and sublime bliss that the best way to put any of these thoughts to work is to try and come up with new concepts.  These emerge from the situated event of research upon a plane of pure immanence or consistency whichever concept fits best as a platform or ground. 

I like this step in thought as it is serious but slightly ironic and after a week of struggling to work out why all the social science writing that uses D and G is a bit crap I think I have worked it out.  The point is to hit the ground running and continue the job of back filling with concepts to prop up the castles in the sky.  The job is not to apply theory or to lay it onto the world , the job is about opening the next franchise of concepts to keep the balls in the air.  I'm sure other people know this and try this but lots of people also try to live in the edifice rather than doing the work to keep it propped up.

This takes us to the concept of a raveling.  It is built as assemblage on the same plane but by thinking of raveling the concept of assemblage can flow into a project and think something differently, shed a little baggage.  This may be a small thing like building a platform with a tree in it that the kids have started calling the tree house.  It could even be as small as lining rusty nails up on a bench, catching a rat and fixing an asbestos flush tank.  I'm drawn to raveling as it holds its opposite the more frequently used unraveling.  This happens to all of us at points in our lives we begin to unravel. 

This idea of developing a new concept needs to be given some kind of structure and context but today at least I think that my writing and thinking has taken me somewhere. Better to spend some time coming up with some creative if crap new concepts to help move thought forward than to regurgitate the ideas of others and chain ourselves to a big pile of sick.  

 

 

 

Synonyms & Near Synonyms for raveling

Antonyms & Near Antonyms for raveling

No comments:

Post a Comment