Wednesday, August 5, 2020

keeping positive




I am conscious that I moan a lot on my blog.  I tend not to do that in my field notes where I leave little messages to my future self that will cheer me up when I read them.  On my blog I tend to vent a bit and even though I can see that nobody is reading them I have a misguided idea that at some point posterity will choose to discover them and unlike in my field-notes I want to be wearing metaphorically clean underwear.  I also choose to write here when I have nowhere else to write, when I can't quite think of my writing as field notes or academic discussion -this somewhere between writing is helpful. Somewhere between a diary and an auto-ethnography and personal notes and a story; somewhere between fact and fiction and right and wrong, heaven and hell the playground and home.  This is not too dangerously claim it's from any middle -  the writing is between unhinged and bolted down it is not really for anyone even the future me.

The rightness of the previous three weeks of early morning Joe Wicks exercise plan followed by close reading of a Thousand Plateaus followed by some esoteric writing on this blog followed by practical building at the playground has necessarily started to fade.  It started to slip away when the chinks and gaps in the territory I had been beavering away within began to get pried apart by the bogie man of writing for a PhD.

I'm reading the Plague by Camus it's great and there is a character in it who is always writing and complaining how hard it is to say what he wants in words. The doctor who is at the moment the main protagonist goes to visit him as he wants to share where he has got too after months of dedication focus.  He has written a single sentence it is something like. 

"The woman rides by on a chestnut horse and her hair blows in the wind."

It reminded me of the poet played by Steve Buscemski in the film Big Fish.  He spends a lifetime trying to craft a poem about the toxic yet perfect small American town of Splendor where people get stuck because of the sheer impossibility of moving anywhere better. The poem he writes is perhaps a pastiche of the New York poets cut back style but Buscemski delivers its perfection in three words " Splendor is good' .  It is perhaps the lifetime of struggle that takes us to these three words or more likely its a joke at the expense of poets in either case it sticks in my head. 

'The adventure playground is good.' there is a truth in this and perhaps it is more than a truism but it is not a poem or a PhD.

I am trying to keep positive but my struggle to start writing proper PhD stuff and not blogs or very short true poems is weighing heavily on me. This is mainly because I am sitting doing this blog to displace the looking at the literature review document I started yesterday.  The normal thing I would do, actually the thing I am doing is just to give myself time where there is nothing else to do but start writing. This works because if I don't start to write it I have literally wasted my time.  I am not good at wasting time as luckily  my time is generally my own and I tend to cherish it.

The last time I tried to write a literature review I wrote a few thousands words on why I wasn't ready to write a literature review. I can't do that again so will need a positive approach.  I've been trying to get started for a week now and although yesterday I did get started I dare not really look at what I wrote today in case it's not really a start  " The literature review is good." I did however find a quote from Lukac that I copied and pasted and it ended up pasting a bit like a concrete poem as it was from a PDF . it reminded me of an important thought I had had and then forgotten.

At this point I realized that I am an old school materialist and find speculative and neo materialism Bourgeois , a word I will always struggle to spell - its the same with plateaus - just write the first bit then all the vowels you know in any order twice.

A

spider

conducts

operations

which

resemble

those

of

the

weaver,

and

a

bee

would

put

many

a

human

architect

to

shame

by

the

construction

of

its

honeycomb

cells.

But

what

distinguishes

the

worst

architect

from

the

best

of

bees

is

that

the

architect

builds

the

cell

in

his

mind

before

he

constructs

it

in

wax.

At

the

labour

process,

a

result

emerges

which

had

already

been

conceived

by

the

worker

at

the

beginning,

hence

already

existed

ideally.

Man

not

only

effects

a

change

of

form

in

the

materials

of

nature;

he

also

realizes

his

own

purpose

in

those

materials.

And

this

is

a

purpose

he

is

conscious

of,

it

determines

the

mode

of

his

activity

with

the

rigidity

of

a

law,

and

he

must

subordinate

his

will

to

it.

(pp.

283-°©284;

quoted

in

Lukács

1980,

p.

3)

No comments:

Post a Comment