Friday, August 28, 2020

Bits and Bots




 It has taken me a while to sit down and blog this week.  We got back from Glasgow and then I had a days experimenting with the projector at the picture house.  Interestingly this is the only work I have done for about 4 months that isn't directly connected to my PhD.  It is good to remind myself of this as it means that I am on task even though I often worry I'm not achieving very much. 

It has been very rainy so I've spent more time reading and more time trying to write.  I feel like I am about to turn a corner as I have a document called literature review which is getting longer.  I need to really thank Pat Thomson for this as her book has really helped. Firstly it has given me some practical tips on academic writing. Secondly it has introduced the idea that we write ourselves as scholars through the process of creating texts. Finally it has pointed to the work at hand which is to maintain my identity as an artist through writing and not to set  two identities, scholar and artist in opposition.  I tried to do a bit of this type of writing just then - tried to do it in a way that had a little gravitas and potentially opened a door into a community of practice.  I worry about artist scholars though as they have never really squared the circle ( alchemist reference) with art and text and the various levels of what is and isn't representation.  In terms of reading I have bought a handbook of arts based research and read some stuff about new materialism.  This is an inching towards a clearer vision of an area of potential study - I cannot say focus as this is not the point. 

I also worried about not been able to finish the steps on the platform at the playground - it was partly rain but also the fact I'm working pretty much on my own now and its a two person job; or at least it is much easier with two people.  One of the reason this blog post is delayed is the fact that I've spent 2 big days down there and really pushed myself to get it done.   I paid Giz to work with me on Wednesday and nearly killed myself yesterday.  I've used all the wood all the nails and all the screws I'm like the DIY tiger monster who came for tea.

I did a projection on Abbyfield house on Saturday as a favor  - we took Shaun and Mary to the beach on Friday so I have put a couple of pictures in as a reminder.  We are going away to Greece for two weeks and I intend to try and switch off as my brain is a little addled and as I start my final year in a month I think it is time for a moment of transition. 

I recon its as good a place as any to leave things for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment