Thursday, October 21, 2021

Writing writing writing- stumped


 I have spent this week writing.  It has felt very unproductive.  So much so that at 5 yesterday I had to go out and try and dig up a tree stump.  I used a mattock and the dog kept barking and getting in the way, after removing half of it I left the rest for another day.

I am working on a literature review and it does not feel like it is going well.  I am procrastinating although I have focused on it for three days.  It was a document I started two years ago and have returned to now. I couldn't face an empty page with the title literature review.

I spoke to Kate briefly on Tuesday as I think things were getting to me a bit.  I keep trying to put some sort of framework in place for the future that I can feel better about but it doesn't seem to work very well.  Kate said I should keep things simple and as I try and write with some of the theory, the overarching philosophical content it all feels very out of touch with the work on the ground.  This is the issue I am addressing in the writing but it does not make it any easier.

 My literature review needs to frame why I am using research-creation as a method and that I am inquiring into the idea of the artists residency in  relation to nomadic  thought - or perhaps what Glissant would call Errantry.  In relation to what research -creation can do I am choosing two pieces of thinking or concepts and putting them to work within the body of the project.

The writing of the the fumbling literature review has at least brought me to this point - In a way what I am writing now may end up as a single paragraph that explains a focus and a gap in the literature.  I will  then have to turn the focus on a few bits of reading which I will have to do well and unpick in more detail and relate to practice. And do a much better scoping of where they emerge in secondary writing and this will become a second layer of the lit review.


This is feeling like a sort of plan - a plan in a long line of plans that only just seem to get started.  At the moment I'm reasonably happy with this one.  The stump is only half removed





No comments:

Post a Comment