Thursday, October 1, 2020

A week of work




I tried to enrol for my last years of funded PhD on Monday but I jumped the gun as I can't actually do this until October.  Looking back to last Thursday when I started the writing group and splurged a couple of thousand words onto the page its difficult to put a mental finger on what I've actually done.  My writing ended up been about methodology,  I am trying to justify why auto-ethnography.  I have also been thinking about making or wroughting as I've started calling it.  

This came about as I took a step back from where I was and thought:

1. There are things I have made.

2. There is writing. 

Although this is simple and obvious it it an almost certain truth.  What the things are and what the writing constitutes is open for debate but they are clearly things and writing.  Material outcomes in the world.  I then tried to think analytically and to an extent within a framing of vibrant assemblages (agensement) .  The trick with thinking assemblage is that the foundation or multiplicity of the concept is built on something that should not be named, that re/places the unknown constructed sense of self that was there before.  The short language that often gets used to move towards thinking through assemblages  never really works- I may as well say the Chicken without Giblets.  Neither can we describe assemblages through doing as the new way of feeling the world requires a positioning that need views that feels immanence - the what is to come rather than the what has gone.  It is hard not to present a closed set of things that unfold in complex relation as an assemblage yet without the vibrancy of a lifes potential immanent becoming this is merely a collection of things.  The neck kidneys and liver placed in a polythene bag and stuffed back up the opening in the carcass that I think may at one point of been a chickens arse though I am never sure I think the parson knows. 

1. There are things I have made.

2. There is writing.

The purpose of the ~PhD from a post perspective is to move towards framing this writing and making into a conceptual framework that adds up to something new.  I think I can do this and I'm well situated to build a vibrant assemblage of parts that will be probably if we are talking in singularities be best described as a difficulty.

 'The only way to find a larger vision is to be somewhere in particular' writes Donna Harrawy in her 1998 article situated knowledge.   I've also done this, am doing this when I've finished this blog I am going to spend a day at the playground, still in residency, still in limbo.  All I have properly learned is what I knew already in that there are no real boundaries between things - everything flows.



No comments:

Post a Comment